Sunday, January 1, 2012

Newbery Challenge

I have always enjoyed reading books that have been awarded the Newbery Award.  The Newbery Award is given annually "most distinguished contribution to American literature for children". It is the premier award for chapter books.  Looking over the list of winners since the inception of the award in 1922, there are many titles that I read to my own children.  So I know that I've been reading Newbery winners for years.  But this year I'm getting serious and I've joined the Newbery Medal Reading Challenge.  I learned about it with my new 'friends' who blog and tweet about books for children.  


I am going to try and read all of the Newbery winners and honor books from the past 90 years.  I don't expect to finish in one year.  The Challenge is billed as being 'stress-free' so I can't set unrealistic goals and I'm not going to beat myself up for not going fast enough.  


I will keep you updated on my progress.  I picked up three Newbery winners this morning at the library used book sale.  


If you are interested in joining the Challenge with me, go to Watch.Connect.Read.



No comments:

Post a Comment